Differences and advantages & disadvantages of lithium battery electric vehicles and lead-acid electric vehicles
May 5, 2023
Follow me on:
- Battery life: The service life of lead-acid batteries is generally around 2 years, while the service life of lithium batteries is longer, mostly 4-5 years.
Lead-acid batteries are generally fully charged and discharged within 300 cycles, while lithium batteries can be fully charged and discharged for at least 500 cycles, and some can reach thousands cycles.
- Volume quality/easy operability: Compared with the lightweight body of lithium battery of only 2~3 kg, the lead-acid battery with the same capacity generally weighs about 16~30 kg, not only quality is larger, but also the volume, compared with lead-acid vehicles With laborious tossing and moving, the lithium electric car is detachable, making it more convenient to ride and carry.
- Market price: At present, the mainstream lithium battery on the market is 2 to 3 times that of the lead-acid battery of the same capacity. The prices of these two types of batteries are different, and the corresponding electric vehicle prices are also quite different.
- Cruising range/battery capacity: The same is 48V battery. When fully charged, the cruising range of lead-acid/lithium battery electric vehicles is similar, depending on factors such as speed and motor size.
- Driving kilometers: batteries with the same voltage and the same capacity, when fully charged, lead-acid battery vehicles and lithium battery vehicles can travel the same number of kilometers.
- In terms of warranty period: At present, in the Chinese market, the warranty period of lithium batteries is generally over 2 years, and the warranty period of lead-acid batteries is generally 1 year.
- Environmental protection: After the lead-acid industry has been reorganized and integrated, most manufacturers have adopted internalization into cadmium-free and arsenic-free green production, which is more environmentally friendly and energy-saving. Only in the recycling process, if the method is improper, it may cause pollution. Lithium batteries are relatively greener in terms of production and recycling.
- Trend: Lightweight batteries and high energy density have become the inevitable trend of power energy. Lithium batteries are undoubtedly the best choice and a development trend in the future.
Seeing the above 8 differences, I believe everyone will find that compared with lead-acid batteries, which are not easy to operate, bulky and not durable, lithium battery electric vehicles seem to have more advantages.
Compared with lead-acid batteries, lithium batteries have a higher average voltage and higher energy density, in other words, lithium batteries have more capacity for the same size battery. In addition, lithium batteries are relatively lightweight, easy to carry, and have a relatively long life. And, lithium batteries have stronger adaptability to high and low temperatures, are less affected by temperature, and are more environmentally friendly.
Finally, lithium batteries also have three disadvantages
- If you choose a low-quality battery, its safety and stability are relatively poor. If it is improperly operated, it is easy to cause the risk of spontaneous combustion. Sure if you choose safe and guaranteed cells, the possibility of spontaneous combustion is much smaller.
- If the lithium battery needs to be discharged with high current, for example, the unmanned aircraft needs to reach 30C discharge, its cost will be very high. Compared with lithium batteries, lead-acid batteries are relatively cheap and more acceptable to the public, and lead-acid batteries have better high-rate discharge performance.
- The recycling price of lead-acid batteries is higher than that of lithium batteries.